Some of my friends loved my plum wine. ^^ This year, we tried to make it together.
This is a simple recipe for a typical plum wine or Umeshu!
What you need:
- Green plums —– 1kg
- Rock sugar —— 600g ~ 1kg
- Shōchū with a 35% alchohol/volume, or brandy ——- 1.8L
- Container (such as a glass jar with a lid)
- Wash the green plums, wipe off the excess water around the plums and take off the stem using a stick.
- Make sure the container (glass jar) is clean, and put in the green plums from step 1 and all of the rock sugar (or honey). Pour in the liqour (shōchū or brandy), close the lid of the jar and store it in a cool and dark place.
- Occasionally shake the jar gently to mix the contents together. The wine can be consumed after around three months, but it is better to wait for around a year to make it even more tastier. Remember to take out the plums after one year.
Every year I also prepared non-alcohol plum syrup for my children too. It’s good for children and people who want it without alcohol.
This year I made two types of plum syrup: a regular one with rock sugar and another with brown sugar.
We had a sushi making event and lunch after making the plum wine. We made California rolls together and ate Temaki Sushi and other food that I had prepared. I didn’t have time to take photos here. ^^;
I can’t wait to try out the wine next year!
My Japanese cooking blog is here!